Thursday 31 January 2013

Arrival at Mucknell Abbey


Mucknell Abbey, Wednesday, 30 January

After mass on Wednesday morning at the cathedral, and having said good bye to the monks of St.Benedict’s Priory, Dom Bruce dropped me off at the station for a 9am train to Worcester.  Three hours later, with a half hour delay on route, I arrived at Worcester train station. With a 10 minute walk to the bus station, I was on my way to Mucknell abbey. As the bus moved out into farm land, I was lucky that one of the ladies next to me knew what stop to get off for the abbey. Having gotten off the bus in the middle of nowhere, and no sign on the road indicating “Abby Lane,” I began the 1 mile walk down a lonely road to what I hoped was the abbey. 

The lonely road from the bus stop to the abbey
Mucknell Abbey is located in the middle of farm land. As I look out my bedroom window, I hear the wind howl, and see nothing but farmland. 

View from my room













This is indeed a place of quiet and solitude. And as I join with the monks and nuns in the rhythm of their community life, I am confident this will be a God-filled time of blessing.

The entrance to Mucknell Abbey

The Oratory

The inner courtyard



No comments: