Tuesday 8 May 2012

My Golf Game

The forecast was for cloud and cold yesterday afternoon. But as soon as I saw the blue sky, I texted my older son and asked if he was available for a round of golf.

I've got four rounds of golf in so far this spring. As the weather hopefully improves, I'd like to be able to play at least one round a week.

I'm not very good, and I've lost lots of balls already!!!
But I like to play. I like the fresh air, the exercise, the company of family and friends.

In order to improve my game, which would also enable me to enjoy the game even more, I need to examine how I'm playing and how often I'm playing.

I need to work on the technique of my swing.
I need to be able to choose which club works best for me with each move down the fairway.
I need to talk to others and learn from their experience.

And in order to improve, I need to play a little more often.

In the midst of all of these "things" I need to do to improve, I should be careful not to forget why I'm golfing. I am golfing for fun and recreation, and to spend some time with family and friends.

This is something of what our lives are about.

If we want to live a more fulfilling life, we should regularly reflect on how we are living.
Out of this reflection, we should make adjustments to how we are living.
And we are wise if we seek the council of others who have more experience in living life.

As we enter this process of reflection, we come to recognize the deep joy we can have from being in maturing and loving relationships with those who share our life with us.

Jesus says "As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; remain in my love...love one another."
This is the real game that is worth spending the time to improve on!!

No comments: