Sunday 3 May 2020

Christ is Everything: A Homily for the 4th Sunday of Easter, 3 May 2020

Easter 4, Year A, 3 May 2020
John 10:1-10

Christ is everything! [say something of each]
“I am the bread of life”
“I am the light of the world”
“I am the Good Shepherd”
“I am Resurrection and the Life”
“I am the Way, the Truth and the Life”
“I am the true vine”

And in today’s Gospel “I am the Gate.”

“Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever does not enter a sheepfold through the gate but climbs over elsewhere is a thief and a robber. But whoever enters through the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens it for him, and the sheep hear his voice, as the shepherd calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.”

Jesus, the Good Shepherd, has to go through the gate first (whom the gatekeeper, God the Father, opens), before he can become the “gate.”

“Amen, amen, I say to you, I am the gate for the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate. Whoever enters through me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture. I came so that they might have life and have it more abundantly.”

What does Jesus the gate open up to? Where is he inviting and leading us? 

Beneath the prison of our false and passing selves, and into the deeper flow of the relational life of the Trinity. Into risen and new life.

“I am the Gate for the sheep. Whoever enters through me will be saved.”

If you want Life, abundant, rich, deep, meaningful life…then you have to learn to live your life THROUGH Christ - “I am the Gate.”

What do we say at the end of the Eucharistic prayer? 
“THROUGH Christ, WITH Christ, and IN Christ”

When we are conscious of being IN Christ, it is WITH Christ that we enter THROUGH the Gate into the Life and Love that is the eternal flow of the Trinity.

Spirituality is about the life long transformation of our consciousness, of becoming aware that Life is THROUGH, WITH and IN Christ….and AS Christ. 

Taking the time to get to know Jesus as the Shepherd and the Gate is the Way to this loving realisation. 

It is the way to rich, deep and abundant Life.

It is the experience of Easter. Allelulia!

No comments: