Friday 15 March 2024

Lighting Up the World

The season of Lent is an invitation to the awakening of the Heart! Our heart for God, and our heart for one another. It is a season to renew our journey away from focus on self to a focus on the Heart that is God - and God’s Heart is in you waiting to be discovered and lived out of. 


Lent and Life is a journey of the opening up to the HEART of all hearts.


“Sir, we would like to see Jesus”


To see Jesus is to see the heart of God, to see Jesus is to see the face of Love. This loving face, this loving awareness is at the very centre of your soul.


In order for us to “see” Christ we must clear away the clutter and illusions of our small and false self. Lent’s invitation is to learn to die to this self.


“Unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains just a grain of wheat; but if it dies it produces much fruit.” 


“Whoever loves his life will lose it, and whoever hates his life in this world will preserve it for eternal life.” 


Jesus is teaching us that the path to genuine and authentic life is the dying to self-centeredness. In biblical terms, it is the “ruler of this world” that beacons us away from the freedom of God to the slavery of self-centeredness.


“And when I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw everyone to myself.”


The way of the Cross is the way of kenosis, of self emptying, and centering on Jesus, of seeing Jesus, the face of Love.


The way of the Cross, of our Lenten journey, is the way of the heart, of a purified and opening heart.


“I will place my law within them and write it upon their hearts; I will be their God and they will be my people.” (Jeremiah)


“A clean heart create for me, O God, and a steadfast spirit renew within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and your Holy Spirit take not from me.” (Psalm 51)


Let us surrender our hearts to the Lord of Love, that we may see less of self, and more of the face of Love in every other person.


That, my friends, will light up the world.

No comments: